Sunday 29 October 2017

A few years ago before he passed away Bluebear Jeff introduced me to Pulp Alley. In all honesty, it wasn't really my kind of game. At the time I was more interested in larger figure count games; I had just finished a medieval Muslim army for WAB/Hail Caesar/whatever and was working my through a ECW Royalist army (still not finished...).  Jeff had a considerable collection of Bob Murch figures and wanted to see them on the table so he and David (Murdock's Mauraders), his son and I played a few games. A great system; very flexible and well thought out; with the emphasis on narrative it could just as easily be used for Sci-Fi adventures as well as fantasy quests. It got me thinking about all the small detailed terrain boards you could make.

Not long ago I approached David about a joint project: I would make some terrain and he would develop a linked campaign. We decided on 2 tables for sure: a south seas island jungle table with a waterfall with "secret" entrance; a early 20th century urban table (possibly Chicago, San Franscisco?). The third table is not for sure yet- possibly some caves or caverns.  The project we hope to have done for Trumpeter's Salute 2018. 

The first table to get attention is the jungle table. I have already done some testing with the usual aquarium plant jungle growth but I started on the structure of the table in earnest last weekend after getting my Mordheim table to game-able level of completion. I started with 2.5cm insulation foam board on 1cm plywood. 
I added the foundation of the cliff the waterfall will fall over with two pieces of 5cm foam .

I then carved into the face and added pieces, glued in place with Gorilla Glue.

Smaller pieces were added to the base and in the creek.





Next up I will cover the foam with plaster soaked paper and apply sculptamold to the rocks and cliff face to add texture.

3 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic already. I'm very envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! And given the standard of your Mordheim table, I'm very keen to see where this goes!

    ReplyDelete